Friday 28 March 2014

Are we there yet?

The final stages of editing a book are quite challenging. As well as trying to draw on the themes discussed in the chapters, it is also important to give a cohesive feel to the book. I have read all of the chapters at least 6 times and I find new and interesting links every time I read them, and so prioriting which to focus on in the concluding chapter has been quite a task.
I learn new things every time I come to the end of a writing project, often associated with how ineffective I am at estimating time. I gave one of my tutees some advice this week which, I decided to use myself today. It is better to do 2 hours of solid, dedicated work than to commit to a long day glued to the PC.
The other "little jobs" left to do before this project comes to its conclusion include checking and re-checking the bibliography, making sure the contents section is accurate, listing the additional sources and clearing up the spelling and grammatical errors (mine not the authors!) pagination, table headings and numbers.... and dealing with my deadline anxiety.... I have scheduled half of my weekend for these jobs. Will it  be enough time to get us there?
So yes we are nearly there, almost.... just a few more things to check and finish and then we will be there... and breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment